Carrots are often the vegetable that you throw into a holiday menu to add color, but rarely seem to be anyone’s favorite vegetable. I fit right into that category as carrots were probably not at the top of my list of favorite vegetables until recently. I rediscovered just how flavorful carrots are once roasted in the oven.
There is something special that happens to carrots when baked as the natural sugars come out, and the carrot has an entirely different flavor from basic boiled carrots. I have been adding carrots to our weekly menus a lot lately because both my husband and I love the taste they achieve when roasted.
Trader Joe’s sells tri-colored carrots, and I decided to try roasting them merely tossed with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and tossed with fresh herbs from my herb garden. These carrots are so pretty they would be a great addition to any holiday menu, and they taste so good that even veggie-hating kids will enjoy them.
It may seem odd to add lemon juice to these carrots, but the addition just brightens up the dish and enhances the flavor. If you do not have access to multi-colored carrots, regular orange carrots will work just fine, as though pretty to look at, the colored carrots do not taste much different. Since this is such a simple dish, fresh herbs really do make a difference, so do not skimp and use dried herbs.
- 2 Pounds Multi-colored Carrots
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Teaspoons Fresh Rosemary, Finely Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme, Finely Chopped
- Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 3 Teaspoons Fresh Parsley Leaves, Chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Trim the ends of the carrots and then cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces.
- Place the carrots on the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with the chopped herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Toss the carrots until coated with the oil and herbs.
- Bake the carrots 30 minutes or until the carrots are lightly browned and fork tender.
- Drizzle the carrots with the lemon juice and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
- Serve carrots warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g