I love olive oil, and since we harvest our own olives every fall, I am a very lucky cook because I have my own supply of amazing extra virgin olive oil on hand at all times. I use olive oil in baking as well as for just about everything else I cook.
I have been making olive oil potatoes seasoned with garlic, fresh rosemary sprigs and coarse sea salt for the past couple of years and they have become my family’s favorite way to prepare potatoes. The olive oil, rosemary, and garlic add lots of flavor, and the exterior of the potato becomes nice and crispy with a tender, creamy interior.
Recently I have been playing around with these potatoes by slathering on some roasted garlic the last few minutes of baking, and even topped the potatoes with a dollop of truffle paste just before serving. Both variations are delicious, although the creamy roasted garlic works perfectly on the potatoes.
I have used a variety of different type of potatoes in this recipe and all work well though the cooking times may vary. My favorite type of potato to use here in Italy however is the yellow potato, or what I would say is similar to the Yukon Gold potato back in the US.
The interior of this potato is extra creamy and it crisps up beautifully. Though you do use a lot of olive oil in cooking, you do not consume it. I keep the seasoned olive oil and in fact freeze it in an airtight container and use it when I make focaccia.
- 4 Medium Potatoes
- 3 (3-inch) Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Halved
- 2 Tablespoons Coarse Sea Salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scrub the potatoes well, cut off any dark spots, and cut in half.
- Place the potatoes cut side down in an oven-proof casserole or pan large enough to hold them.
- Pour in enough olive oil so there is about 1/2 inch depth in the pan.
- Add the rosemary sprigs and garlic, and sprinkle with the sea salt.
- Bake the potatoes for about 25 minutes, then carefully turn over and bake another 20 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender and crispy brown.
- Slather the garlic paste if using, unto the cut side of the potato, and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 whole potato
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3190mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g