This is an easy, yet very tasty recipe that is a perfect way to start almost any meal. I have served these as appetizers at family barbeques, as well as at more formal dinner parties. The only key is to use very tasty tomatoes.
I find that unless tomatoes are in season, the small grape or cherry tomatoes have the best flavor. You can also top the bruschetta with shaved Parmesan cheese, or mix some chopped capers into the tomato mixture.
- 1 Loaf Crusty Italian Bread -- Baguette
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Good Olive Oil
- 3 Cups Ripe Tomatoes, Cut Into 1/2 Inch Pieces
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh, Chopped Basil
- Mix together the tomato topping ingredients and set aside.
- Cut the bread into slices about 3/4 inches thick, and either place under a broiler, or on grill, and cook untill just golden.
- Turn and repeat.
- Take the bruschetta away from heat, and first using a clove of garlic on the prongs of a fork, rub one side of each of the toasts .
- Next brush a little olive oil on each toast.
- Top with the tomato mixture and serve immediately.