I am presently sitting on the couch with my leg elevated and wrapped in an ice pack. I am twelve days postop of my second total knee replacement, so I cannot do much in the kitchen yet. Luckily I had completed testing on several recipes before surgery that I can write up and post during my recovery.
My all-time favorite chicken dish to make at home is Breaded Chicken Cutlets with Tomatoes and Arugula, but during the heat of the summer, I like to use the oven as little as possible. This dish which grills the chicken instead of baking it is the perfect alternative.
While staying at our farmhouse in Umbria, Italy, we often visited the local restaurant on the hill behind our home called Al Leone. Although I love almost every dish on the menu, Grilled Chicken with Arugula and Tomatoes has become a favorite of mine. It is light, full of flavor, and very satisfying. Best of all, it is simple and easy to prepare at home; you can pull the dish together in Minutes.
I cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise for this dish, creating two thinner pieces. I then use my meat mallet to ensure the cutlets are of equal thickness. I marinate my cutlets for half an hour in olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, then lightly grill them until they are cooked.
To serve this dish, I pile on some peppery arugula, halved sweet cherry tomatoes, and just a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar to finish. You could also add some blue cheese crumbles, which takes this dish to the next level.
- 4 Chicken Breasts, Each Cut Lengthwise Into Two Pieces
- Juice Of 1 Lemon
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2 Pints Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Chopped Fresh Basil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1 Bag Baby Argula
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic Glaze or Reduced Balsamic Vinegar
- Place chicken breasts between 2 pieces parchment paper and use a meat mallet to pound the cutlets into equal thickness.
- Put chicken in a bowl with the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Place tomatoes in a bowl with the oil, basil, salt and pepper.
- Preheat gas grill, then lay the chicken c
cutlets on the grill and cook 3 to 5 minutes each side until cooked and browned.
- Transfer cutlets to plates or a platter and top with the arugula.
- Spoon on the tomatoes and then drizzle with the balsamic to finish.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 540Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 39g