Christmas is the one holiday all year that I embrace with all of my being. I decorate my house with three Christmas trees plus decorations in almost every room. I buy too many gifts for family, and I bake a lot of holiday treats, and I mean a LOT! I usually make a number of traditional Italian cookies that have become family favorites over the years, but I also like to try out a couple new cookies each year to keep my holiday cookie tray fresh.
These cookies combine both ricotta cheese as well as ground almonds so they are very moist with just a little chew. Because these cookies are so moist, they are best made just before you plan to enjoy them. I kept mine in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about five days last Christmas and they kept just fine, although the cookies did get a little firmer as they sat.
To make my cookies a little more special, I scattered some thinly sliced almonds on top of the cookies before baking. After the cookies had baked and completely cooled, I drizzled some dark chocolate across the tops of the cookies. Let the chocolate cool and firm up before you store the cookies.
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Large Egg, At Room Temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 Cup Full Fat Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Cups A-purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Finely Ground Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds
- 4 Ounces Dark Chocolate, Chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line two baking sheets with silicone baking sheets or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter with both sugars until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, extract, ricotta cheese and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and ground almonds and mix on low speed just until mixed.
- Scoop the batter in 1 tablespoon portions and roll into balls.
- Place the balls on the prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- Use the back of a fork to gently press the top of each cookie until the cookies are about 1/2 inch thick.
- Top the cookies with the almond slices and bake for about 13 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave on medium low or in a double boiler on the stove top, stirring often until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Use the times of a fork to drizzle the tops of the cookies with the chocolate.
- Cool completely and then store in an airtight container until you are ready to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 6g