We love all berries, but I’d have to say that both strawberries and raspberries are my favorites. Just recently, I realized that strawberries would soon be out of season and I therefore felt I needed to buy them every time I visited the local grocery store or market. I really prefer very ripe, locally grown strawberries, and once they are out of season I usually avoid the ones imported in from some far away place as they never have that really fresh, vibrant strawberry flavor.
One day last week I saw that I had some strawberries in my refrigerator that I needed to use up immediately, so I sliced them up and used them in this easy quick bread. Loaves like this one are the kind of things I like to bake as they can be thrown together quickly and work just as well for breakfast as they do throughout the day.
- 1/2 Cup Softened Butter (Or Equal Coconut Oil)
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Oat Flour (Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour)
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- Dash of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 2 Cups Strawberries, Trimmed & Sliced
- 1 Cup Chopped Toasted Hazelnuts, Plus 3 Tablespoons Chopped For Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly grease and flour a 9X5 inch loaf pan.
- In one bowl beat together the butter and sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each.
- Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together the two flours, baking powder and soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture along with half the yogurt and beat on low just until combined.
- Add the remaining flour and yogurt and mix again.
- Stir in the strawberries and hazelnuts.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining chopped hazelnuts, then bake for around an hour or until lightly browned.
- A cake tester should come out clean when inserted into the center.
- Let cool 15 minutes then turn out of pan and cool on a wire rack until room temperature before slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 228mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 19gProtein: 8g