Although I do not consider myself a baker, I do bake rustic cakes, muffins, cookies, and quick breads a couple of times each week for our guests when we are here in Umbria. We have a busy summer ahead of us with lots of family visiting and farmhouse guests arriving right up until we pick our olive the end of October, so I’ve been busy working on new recipes.
Since it is strawberry season here in Italy, there is an abundance of sweet berries available at every outdoor market and grocery store. I decided to combine walnuts and strawberries in this easy quick bread or loaf and ended up with a moist sweet bread that is perfect for breakfast, or for a snack throughout the day. The strawberries add a subtle sweetness, and help keep the loaf very moist. I try to use olive oil in my baking whenever possible and it worked really well in this recipe.
- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/4 Cups Mashed Very Ripe Strawberries
- 1/2 Cup Olive OIl
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In one bowl, whisk together the flour, walnuts, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, vanilla, eggs, strawberries, and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir just until blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and bake for about 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the loaf for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack until it is room temperature.