A traditional nut paste cookie made with ground almonds, this is the crisp style of amaretti, although if you bake them less the cookies will have more of a chewy texture. Before baking, you can either press one whole blanched almond into each cookie, or instead sift a little powdered sugar on top of each.
- 2 1/2 Cups Blanched Almonds
- 1 1/4 Cups Superfine Or Powdered Sugar
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- Icing Sugar Or Whole Blanched Almonds
- Grind the almond to a fine powder with the sugar in a food processor.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks forms.
- Fold this mixture into the ground almonds along with the extract.
- Using a pastry bag, pipe out the mixture the size of walnuts onto a parchment lined baking sheet, lightly dusted with flour.
- Let sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Bake the cookies for about 30 minutes or until lightly golden in color.
- Let cool thoroughly, and store in airtight containers.