Fresh zucchini can generally be bought year round but when the local zucchini first appear in the markets I find myself buying them often for everything from light soups, to side dishes, and especially for light salads which are great in the warmer months. I could eat zucchini prepared like this every day and not get tired of them they are so tasty.
This dish can be used as a salad, a selection on an antipasti platter, or as a summer side dish that is perfect for outdoor dining. I do fry my zucchini in this recipe in olive oil but if you wanted to you could steam them as well. If steamed you would have to add some olive oil along with the vinegar to dress them. Lightly dressed and topped with shaved Pecorino cheese these zucchini are not overpowered by the other ingredients.
- 4 to 6 Medium Zucchini
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled And Thinly Sliced
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Herb Of Choice (I Prefer Parsley or Mint)
- 1 Ounce Shaved Pecorino Cheese
- Remove the top and tail of the zucchini and cut in half crosswise.
- Next cut each half lengthwise into 6 to 8 segments.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the zucchini in batches until lightly browned on all sides but still tender crisp.
- Remove the cooked zucchini and place in a serving dish.
- Continue to cook the zucchini in this manner until they are all cooked.
- Add the garlic to the frying pan and toss in the oil and cook just until the garlic begins to color.
- Add the garlic to the zucchini.
- Sprinkle the zucchini with a little red wine vinegar, sea salt, fresh chopped herb of choice, and lots of cracked black pepper.
- Gently toss to mix and taste, adding additional vinegar or oil if needed.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and serve with the shaved cheese on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 262mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 7g