This is the real Italian garlic bread. What often sells for garlic bread in North American restaurants is laden with butter, garlic powder and a variety of cheeses. This is as simple as it could possibly get and absolutely delicious. The only trick is to cook the garlic until it just starts to sizzle and then take it off the heat. You want the garlic to be just very light brown so it has released it’s flavor but has not become bitter.
Because you are only using a few ingredients, just make sure they are great ones to obtain the best results. The bread should be a thick crusted country style Italian bread, the olive oil a fruity extra virgin variety, and the garlic bulbs firm and fresh. If you desire, you can also sprinkle on some fresh chopped parsley or rosemary just before serving, but I prefer the flavor best just with garlic and olive oil.
- 4 Large Garlic Cloves
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 (3/4 Inch Thick) Slices Of Country Style Italian Bread
- Sea Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Peel and slice the garlic thinly.
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan and when hot add the garlic.
- As soon as the garlic begins to sizzle remove from the heat.
- Either grill or broil the bread slices on both sides to a nice golden brown.
- Brush the olive oil over each slice, making sure the garlic slices are spread over evenly.
- Sprinkle the slices with a little sea salt and cracked black pepper and serve.